I Married A Tica Or Tico: How Can I Obtain A Costa Rican Residency Through Marriage Or Relationship With A Costa Rican (Por Vínculo Con Costarricense)?

by Quatro Legal Immigration Team | Jan. 2, 2024 | Article, Immigration

Temporary residencies through marriage or relationship with a Costa Rican are residency categories applicable to any person who is married or who has a relationship with a Costa Rican citizen, whether mother, father, daughter, son, sibling and/or spouse, or when the applicant has lived in the country under temporary residency for over ten years. The application does not include extended family members such as grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins.

If an application is filed for residency through marriage, the marriage must be duly registered with the Costa Rican Civil Registry and a certification must be obtained as part of the requirements. For marriages under two years, the General Directorate of Immigration will require an interview with the spouses as part of the application process to demonstrate the legitimacy of the marriage. The applicant must agree to live in Costa Rica for at least one day per year and the applicant is entitled to apply for permanent residency after three consecutive years. A married temporary resident may work or perform remunerated activities in Costa Rica.

If an application is filed for residency due to the existence of a child, the General Directorate of Immigration may require an interview as part of the application process to corroborate the parents’ commitment to support and take care of their offspring. This type of residency is issued as permanent and allows the applicant to work or perform remunerated activities in Costa Rica.


Temporary Residency Duration

Temporary residency under the Marriage Category spans one year and is subject to renewal for additional one-year periods.


Path to Permanent Residency

After three consecutive years of maintaining temporary residency, you become eligible for permanent residency.


Main Requirement for the Marriage Category

Under existing immigration regulations, foreign nationals married to a Costa Rican citizen qualify for temporary residence. The marriage must be officially registered with the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) to be recognized for residency purposes. An essential step in this process involves a mandatory interview with the couple at the Immigration Department to verify the authenticity of the marriage.


Application Process Overview

The application process for temporary residency through marriage to a Costa Rican citizen typically spans 12 to 16 months.

For more information please fill out the courtesy e-meeting form at the bottom. We will be glad to assist you!

Get a free consultation

Get To Know Quatro Legal

We’re bringing empathy and excellence back to legal counseling. Quatro Legal is built on a bedrock of kindness, a passion for service, and a commitment to guiding you through your legal challenges with ease.







Designed & Developed by Untethered Media

All Rights Reserved 2023 | Privacy